Skip to main content

I Was Refused Makeup Because I Was Not Star-Nollywood's Uche Joan Iwuanyanwu

Uche Joan Iwuanyanwu

Nigerian actress Uche Joan Iwuanyanwu has told NEWS-ONE that her first experience on set as an aspiring actress was not a pleasant one.
According to her, she was told in the face by a makeup artiste that she was not a star, therefore there was no need making her up for her close-up shots.
However she did not allow that experience to derail her dream of becoming one of Africa’s most celebrated actresses. She overlooked it and did what she was supposed to do in the movie perfectly.
“Hmm, I think I was a bit skeptical on set, because of the way the makeup artist treated me. Not a she, a he. To be sincere, on my close ups he never touched my face, saying to me it did not matter because I was not yet a star. Imagine. It almost affected me but with encouragement from the actors I was with on set, my acting went well,” she said when asked about her first time experience.
Uche hails from Mbano Local Government area of Imo state and is an Economics graduate from the University of Jos, Plateau state.
She has been acting since 2009 and featured in a few Ghana and Nigeria collaboration movies.
She is currently one of the rising hot faces in Nollywood.
She was recently in Ghana for the premiere of “Cheaters” in which she played an amazing role alongside Jackie Appiah, Adjetey Anang, Omar Sherriff Captan, Chichi Neblett, Okawa Shaznay and others.
Below is a chat she had with NEWS-ONE when she came to Ghana.     
 Who is Uche?
Uche is the third of six Children raised in a Godly family. A diploma holder in Mass Communication and a Bsc Economics Graduate.

Where do you come from in Nigeria?
Imo State, Isiala Mbano Local government to be precise.

How long have you been acting?

I have been off and on acting since 2009 because of school. But now I'm done. So I’m going into acting full time.

How did it all start?
Started 2009 in Lagos, through the assistance of my aunt and the first movie I starred in, was titled  “Queen of Passion” produced by Oscar Rondodo.

What role did you play in Queen of Passion?
I played the wife of Sino Anagor, he was Yemi Blaq’s best friend. As his wife, I was to convince Yemi Blaq beyond every reasonable doubt that marriage was important and that he should stop chasing too much money and get a wife (laughs).

How many movies so far?
Fifteen (15) movies thereabout including Queen of Passion, Break Away, Candy Girls, Naked Desire, Real Passion, Cold Passion, Port Harcourt Babes, Daughters of Babylon, Undercover, 4play Reloaded, Pool Party, Somewhere In Africa, God of Shiloh, God of Zion And Cheaters.

Do you still remember your first experience on set? What really happened?

Hmm, I think I was a bit skeptical on set, because of the way the makeup artist treated me.

How did she treat you?

Not a ‘she’, a ‘he’. To be sincere, on my close ups he never touched my face, saying to me it did not matter because I was not yet a star. Imagine it.

Did that affect your performance on the set or in that film?

Almost! But with encouragement from the actors I was with on set, my acting went well.

 At what point in life did you realize you could act and wanted to be an actor?

I would say acting for me was something I loved and wanted to do from a tender age, taking examples from my church drama participation.


By Francis Addo (NEWS-ONE)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Zynnell Zuh Vs Omoni Oboli: Who Best Rocks The Colours?

 It is unclear which colours are ruling the red carpet and glamour events lately. Last weekend actresses Zynnell Zuh and Omoni Oboli attended the premiere of Being Mrs Elliot at the Silverbird Cinemas in Accra on Friday in some unique colours. Though they both had slightly different colours, their touch of coral, dusty rose, off white and cream colours almost looked the same to eyes. Zynnell Zuh & Omoni Oboli colours Omoni Oboli style

Ghanaian Actor Eddie Watson's Dad Dies

Eddie Watson Actor, Eddie Watson has lost his dad. The old man reportedly died on Thursday dawn after a short illness. The man died the same week Watson was preparing to go to Liberia to visit his family after incessant calls on him by his dad to come home for a discussion. Unfortunately, he was called on Thursday dawn that his dead had died. It is yet to be confirmed if he is still in Ghana or he has left for Liberia to join the family to mourn their late dad. Eddie is currently one of Ghana’s most sought-after actors. He has featured in a number of Ghanaian movies and was privileged to become one of the few Ghanaians to make it to Nollywood. Among his movies are ‘ Masters of The Game,’ ‘ Turn Me On’ , ‘Somewhere In Africa’ ‘A Reason To Kill’, ‘Single Six’, and ‘Married & Single’. A couple of weeks ago, the actor made the headlines when his mum came out publicly to state her worries about his son’s failure to get married. It was unclear if it was the

Tiffany Drops New Single Neke Neke

Tiffany  Songstress Antoinette Tiffany Owusu popularly known as “Itz Tiffany” has dropped a new banger titled, ‘Neke Neke’ produced by hit beat maker Killbeatz. It is anticipated to take over the music scene very soon.  The new song comes with an impressive video shot by Nana Assihene and is receiving some massive airplay across the globe. Tiffany is indeed one of the raising stars of Ghana making headlines all over the globe. Born on the 20th of March, Itz Tiffany has indeed made a mark for herself in the showbiz fraternity. The queen of Azonto has been in the music scene for seven years now and there is no doubt about her versatility when it comes to music. You can call her ‘Miss Versatile’, as Okyeame Kwame has already taken Mr. versatile. The ‘Fake London Boy’ hit maker showed us her rap skills lyrically after making her presence felt in the main stream with the song She came back with, ‘Last One’ featuring Castro which made news in Ghana, London, and other francophone countri