Skip to main content

Hollywood’s Rockmond Dunbar Traces Root To Nigeria


Perhaps, it is one of the interesting revelations to have come out of this year’s Africa Movie Academy awards (AMAA) in Nigeria as popular Hollywood actor Rockmond Dunbar has declared he is a Nigerian.
The popular actor was among some of the top names in Hollywood at the AMAA on Sunday. Lynn Whitfield, Maya Gilbert, and Morris Chestnut were also there.
That was Dunbar’s second time in Nigeria and he came with his mother.
Rockmond told journalists on Saturday during a press conference ahead of the award ceremony, to clear alleged comments made by Morris Chestnut about Eko Hotel in Lagos, that his DNA proved that he was a Nigerian.
“It is absolutely incredible. I had a great time here. I did have a good time and I will be back. The reason I brought my mother over was because of our African ancestral and DNA. I took a test just recently and I’m Yoruba. I am very happy that I come from a very long great line of very strong, intelligent, hospitable, humble people. So I had to bring my mother back to show her where you (his mom) are from and proud to be a Yoruba,” he said at the event.      
He was passionate about coming for the AMAAs and applauded Nollywood’s movie productions.
After the conference, he told NEWS-ONE that he had not too much expectation for the awards.
“I have no expectations for tomorrow (Sunday April 22). Y
ou know I don’t go into any project or any situation with any expectation because God has humbled me to the point that I just wait on Him. So I do want to see an incredible show. I definitely wanted to be entertained; that is why we are coming to celebrate and to be entertained. We are going to have a good time tomorrow. I am happy to be here and I’m happy to be part of AMAA,” he said on Saturday April 21.
However, he confessed that he hadn’t seen much African movies. “You know, I’m not well-versed into African movies because I just came to Africa, a year-and-half ago. My reach for African movies wasn’t that well and I’m struggling to make filmmaker friends that are within Africa. I’m also struggling to get a little more accustomed to actors and actresses and the films that are shot here. That is what I’m doing now,” he noted.
But that could not stop him from talking about Nollywood films, which he thought were advanced.
“Nigeria films are bringing up the quality of production. You guys have the quantity, it is there. So it is really taking the time on focusing in on really really great stories out there. That’s what we really want to focus on and I’m here to help. I’m here to get my expertise, thoughts, energy and whatever we need to do to bring up the quality in filmmaking so they can be distributed all over the world. That I think is very possible.”  Rockmond is an American actor best known for his roles as Kenny Chadway on the Showtime television drama series ‘Soul Food’, and as Benjamin Miles ‘C-Note’ Franklin on the FOX television drama series ‘Prison Break’
In 2007, Dunbar starred on the short-lived TNT medical drama ‘Heartland’. He made a guest appearance on ‘Noah's Ark’ as himself to give Noah (screenwriter and the main character of the show) some ideas about his movie ‘Fine Art’. He also had a recurring role on the UPN series ‘Girlfriends’ and is also known for his role as ‘Pookie’ on the television series ‘The Game’. He was also a regular on the short-lived FX series ‘Terriers’.
Dunbar's other TV credits include guest appearances in ‘Earth 2’, ‘Felicity’, ‘The Pretender’, ‘Two Guys and a Girl’ and ‘North Shore’. In 2011, he joined the cast of FX's hit show ‘Sons of Anarchy’ as the new Sheriff of Charming, Eli Roosevelt. His film projects include ‘Punks’ (which debuted at the 2000 Sundance Film Festival), ‘Misery Loves Company’, ‘Sick Puppies’, ‘Whodunit’, ‘Dirty Laundry,’  ‘All About You’ and ‘Kiss Kiss Bang Bang’.

credit: newsone, Francis Addo

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kweku Elliot Is The Hot New Face In Ghana's Movie Industry

Kweku Elliot Kweku Elliot has been described as the next big thing to happen to Ghana’s movie industry. Elliot is a star in the making and his nice voice, coupled with his unique persona, makes him stand out among the old and new faces in the industry. Elliot made his debut major role in the newly premiered ‘ Single & Married’ and even before the movie hits the market, fans who saw him do his thing in the movie have started loving him. Last week, actress Yvonne Nelson told fellow actors that they should watch out for Elliot because he was hot and very good. “He was amazing,” Yvonne said on TV3’s ‘Diva’s Show’. Kweku Elliott, known by all his friends and family as Kay Elliott, is a Ghanaian born upcoming television and film actor. Kweku Elliot & Yvonne Nelson One of his first acting roles was in the popular and widely televised advert for Vodafone dubbed ‘The Chase’ . Professionally, Elliott is a graphic designer who got into acting when one of h...

I’m Okay With Nudity In Movies –JJ Bunny

Francis Addo Wins 2021 Model Publicist Award

Francis Addo  Francis Addo  Ghanaian entertainment journalist and publicist, Francis Addo has received an award for Model Publicist of The Year at the just ended 2021 Ghana Models Award (GMA).  Francis who’s career spans over 15years is an entertainment editor with the biggest private-owned newspaper in Ghana, Daily Guide. He also runs @Ghanareporter on Instagram. He won the award for his dedication to promoting models and the fashion industry in general. The  GMA  is an annual ceremony that honours excellence in Ghana’s fashion and modeling industry. The 2021 event was the 4th edition and it was held at the AMA City Hall in Accra on September 18. Awards  were handed out to several other stakeholders including Edem Debrah and Anita Ofori who were adjudged  Male & Female  Models of the Year respectively.  TV personality, Angela Bamford also received an honorary award: The Citizen & Philanthropist Award for her charity engagements in re...